Mitchell Appleman Memorial Scholarship
A $500 scholarship each for one male and one female student-athlete to help with incidentals (e.g. books, parking passes, lab fees) incurred during the first year of college. This is a one-time award.
The two scholarships are offered in the memory of Mitchell "Big Mitch" Appleman, the beloved father of Nanci Appleman-Vassil, President of APLS Group. Big Mitch was also the proud grandfather of former NC State football player Michael Vassil.
Big Mitch was a successful businessman as well as a dyed-in-the-wool sports fan. An astute statistician and lover of numbers, Big Mitch was one of those guys who memorized and calculated player and team stats in his head. Watching a game with Big Mitch was a sports lesson of a higher order and a real treat.
Big Mitch’s love of sports was only eclipsed by his belief in the positive power of a good education as the way to greater success in life. He would be the first in line to support this award that values and rewards sports and academic achievement.
Students eligible to apply for the scholarship are graduating high school seniors from the three listed Brunswick County, NC public high schools who are planning to enroll as full-time students in an accredited two- or four-year college or university in the United States. The college/university must participate in sports programs affiliated with NCAA, NAIA, or NJUCO, but the applicant is not required to play at the college level. Students must furnish documented proof from a coach that they have played two entire seasons of the same sport during high school either on a high school team, travel team, or a formal club sports league. Applicants must be in good standing with their school, and minimum GPA and extracurricular requirements apply.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Possess a minimum unweighted 2.5 GPA
- Attend one of the following high schools in Brunswick County, NC: West Brunswick, North Brunswick, or South Brunswick
- Have played (or are currently completing) at least two years of the same high school sport
- Have no attendance, tardy, or behavior issues per school policy
- Have participated in at least one extracurricular activity during high school that was not sports related. Leadership positions in activities are a plus.
- Is academically eligible to participate in college sports as a college freshman, but student is not required to be on the college-level team
- Fill out the entire application: 2018 Mitch Appleman Memorial Scholarship Application
- Complete the 500-word essay responding to the prompt
- Attach your high school transcript
- Attach a letter of recommendation from a coach, teacher, or school counselor
- Provide documentation that confirms participation in at least two years of a sport
- Attach a copy of the acceptance letter from the college/university you plan to attend
Completed application and supporting documentation due April 2, 2018. Late applications and applications without the proper supporting documentation will not be considered.
Submit your application and all supporting documentation either by email or mail:
Email: Scan all documents and send to Karen Parker at [email protected]
Mail: Karen Parker, Executive Director, Learning Illumination Center, 5540 Centerview Dr., Suite 200, Raleigh, NC 27606
Winners will be notified on May 15, 2018. Checks will be disbursed at the Senior Awards Night at each winner’s school.
Questions? Contact Karen at [email protected].
Interested In Our Upcoming Events?
See when we're in your area