Mitchell Appleman Memorial Scholarship
Students eligible to apply for the scholarship are graduating high school seniors from the three listed Brunswick County, NC public high schools who are planning to enroll as full-time students in an accredited two- or four-year college or university in the United States. The college/university must participate in sports programs affiliated with NCAA, NAIA, or NJUCO, but the applicant is not required to play at the college level. Students must furnish documented proof from a coach that they have played two entire seasons of the same sport during high school either on a high school team, travel team, or a formal club sports league. Applicants must be in good standing with their school, and minimum GPA and extracurricular requirements apply.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Possess a minimum unweighted 2.5 GPA
- Attend one of the following high schools in Brunswick County, NC: West Brunswick, North Brunswick, or South Brunswick
- Have played (or are currently completing) at least two years of the same high school sport
- Have no attendance, tardy, or behavior issues per school policy
- Have participated in at least one extracurricular activity during high school that was not sports related. Leadership positions in activities are a plus.
- Is academically eligible to participate in college sports as a college freshman, but student is not required to be on the college-level team
- Fill out the entire application: 2019 Mitch Appleman Memorial Scholarship Application
- Complete the 500-word essay responding to the prompt
- Attach your high school transcript
- Attach a letter of recommendation from a coach, teacher, or school counselor
- Provide documentation that confirms participation in at least two years of a sport
- Attach a copy of the acceptance letter from the college/university you plan to attend
Completed application and supporting documentation due April 2, 2018. Late applications and applications without the proper supporting documentation will not be considered.
Submit your application and all supporting documentation either by email or mail:
Email: Scan all documents and send to Nicholas Vassil at [email protected]
Mail: Nicholas Vassil Executive Director, Learning Illumination Center, 5540 Centerview Dr., Suite 200, Raleigh, NC 27606
Questions? Contact Nicholas Vassil at [email protected].
Interested In Our Upcoming Events?
See when we're in your area