Mitchell Appleman Memorial Scholarship
Learning Illumination Center (LIC) is proud to announce we are again offering $500 academic scholarships for high school seniors! LIC is the non-profit arm of APLS Group, a Raleigh training/talent management organization. LIC’s mission is to educate and elevate student-athletes to become future leaders in their communities by offering learning opportunities to them and the adults in their lives. These scholarships, granted in the name of Mitchell "Big Mitch" Appleman, will be given to a male and female student-athlete from the applicant pool from the following Wake County high schools: Knightdale, Southeast Raleigh and Sanderson. Qualified applicants will have participated in the same sport either on their high school, travel, or club team for at least two entire seasons between their freshman and senior years, and they will meet additional academic requirements.
A $500 scholarship each for one male and one female student-athlete to help with incidentals (e.g. books, parking passes, lab fees) incurred during the first year of college. This is a one-time award.
The scholarships are offered in the memory of Mitchell "Big Mitch" Appleman, the beloved father of Nanci Appleman-Vassil, Founder and CEO of APLS Group. Big Mitch was also the proud grandfather of former NC State football player Michael Vassil. Big Mitch was a successful businessman as well as a dyed-in-the-wool sports fan. An astute statistician and lover of numbers, Big Mitch was one of those guys who memorized and calculated player and team stats in his head. Watching a game with Big Mitch was a sports lesson of a higher order and a real treat. Big Mitch’s love of sports was only eclipsed by his belief in the positive power of a good education as the way to greater success in life. He would be the first in line to support this award that values and rewards sports and academic achievement.
Students eligible to apply for the scholarship are graduating high school seniors from the three listed Wake County, NC public high schools who are planning to enroll as full-time students in an accredited two- or four-year college or university in the United States. The college/university must participate in sports programs affiliated with NCAA, NAIA, or NJUCO, but the applicant is not required to play at the college level. Students must furnish documented proof from a coach that they have played two entire seasons of the same sport during high school either on a high school team, travel team, or a formal club sports league. Applicants must be in good standing with their school, and minimum GPA and extracurricular requirements apply.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Possess a minimum unweighted 2.5 GPA
- Attend one of the following high schools in Wake County, North Carolina: Knightdale, Southeast Raleigh and Sanderson
- Have played (or are currently completing) at least two years of the same high school sport
- Have no attendance, tardy, or behavior issues per school policy
- Have participated in at least one extracurricular activity during high school that was not sports related. Leadership positions in activities are a plus.
- Is academically eligible to participate in college sports as a college freshman, but student is not required to be on the college-level team
- Fill out the entire application: 2019-Mitch-Appleman-Memorial-Scholarship-Application
- Complete the 500-word essay responding to the prompt
- Attach a letter of recommendation from a coach, teacher, or school counselor
- Provide documentation that confirms participation in at least two years of a sport
- Attach a copy of the acceptance letter from the college/university you plan to attend
Completed application and supporting documentation due April 5, 2019.
Late applications and applications without the proper supporting documentation will not be considered.
Submit your application and all supporting documentation either by email or mail:
Email: Scan all documents and send to Nicholas Vassil at [email protected]
Mail: Nicholas Vassil Executive Director, Learning Illumination Center, 5540 Centerview Dr., Suite 200, Raleigh, NC 27606
Notification of Award: The $500 Scholarship will be awarded at the graduation ceremony 2019
Questions? Contact Nicholas Vassil at [email protected].
2018 Scholarship Recipients